22 Apr Designing a home addition
Step 1: Where to Start:
- Identify your needs
- Your wants
- Establish a budget
- And you will receive an extension that enhances your lifestyle.
Step 2: Style:
- Remain with your original style?
- Refresh your ‘older style’ home?
- Consider finishes for the outside of your new addition?
Step 3: An Experienced Building Consultant:
- Will listen
- Will advise on whether your needs, wants and budget are practical
- Give guidance on the variables of adding to your home, including what will add value, structural adequacy of existing and local Council or Certifier requirements.
- Design 3D Coloured Concept Plans, including the extent and details of your addition.
Facts for you to Consider:
- Keep an open mind.
- Making changes to existing areas such as bathrooms, kitchens and laundries can dramatically increase the price of the addition.
- Changing existing plumbing and electrics can also dramatically increase the price of the addition.
- Your home may need additional structural support.
- The cosmetic condition of your existing home.
- Matching of building materials on your existing home, can at times be costly.
- Directional aspects of your home, ie. the position of the sun in winter and summer.
- Position of your home in relation to the boundaries and street.
- Prepare for ‘lifestyle’ disturbance while the addition is being built.
- Home insurance for your contents.
- Building access to your home addition.
- Parking availability during the build.
- Council approval will take a number of months and possibly longer if:
- Your neighbours have issues, OR
- Your home is heritage listed.
Choose a Builder who specialises in additions and can:
- Listen to your needs, wants and budget.
- Will offer advice and education to help you make an informed decision on what’s best for you and your family!
- Look after the reports, approvals and insurances.
- Project Manage your addition.
- Respect your home.
- Provide you with a Written 10 year Structural Guarantee on completion.
A well designed home addition will increase the value of your property, instantly.